Powered by

Powered by:
Timex Multisport team | Castelli cycling clothing | Trek bikes | Bolle sunglasses | Shimano bike components | Skratch Labs nutrition | Squirt Lube

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

That's not how I define a "path"

I mentioned that I reworked part of my route to avoid an unnecessary/dangerous hill. So when my training schedule said "4 hours easy," I headed out the door to test out the new route.

Outbound - Things were proceeding well and I was happy with my detour. At one point, the path became fairly rocky gravel, but not terrible. But then I missed a turn that I didn't even see. Figuring I would get it correct on the way back, I proceeded to get back on the paved roads, using one of my Bavaria Cycling Tips: If you are lost, head to a Maypole.

Each town's Maypole can usually be seen from miles away and they are conveniently up during the nice cycling weather. Heading to a Maypole will get you to a town, and there will be a bunch of the yellow road arrows pointing you to where you want to go.

This time, I made it all the way to the Czech Border, at about the 50km mark. I stopped to take some photos of the border area, since I am going to just ride past on Day 1.


I can only imagine what this looked like during the Cold War...

The granite markers show the actual border and say "D" on the German side and "C" on the Czech side.


With that stop complete and after putting on my Castelli Gabba jacket for the descent home, it was time to get going. It was unseasonably cold on Sunday, so I was very happy that I had the extra layer.

The section I missed: I followed the route with no problems for a few minutes. Then I was on gravel, but decent. Then I missed a turn again; I thought "I didn't see a turn," so I took the time to stop and back track.

There were two indentation that appeared that farm vehicles might occasionally come this way. No rocks, just trampled down soil. I was surprised that it was actually pleasant. That is, until in a few seconds I realized that my computer was telling me this "path" continued straight into a field full of crops.

I stopped and just started laughing. I should have taken a picture of me completely surrounded by all the plants. But I got turned around and headed for the Maypole and then back home.  It wound up being a 4.5 hour ride, but definitely good practice for the real deal.

Uh...no.



No comments:

Post a Comment