Powered by

Powered by:
Timex Multisport team | Castelli cycling clothing | Trek bikes | Bolle sunglasses | Shimano bike components | Skratch Labs nutrition | Squirt Lube

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Day 2: Take your pick

It appears that at least in the Czech Republic (but I have a sneaking suspicion this will be the case for the rest of the journey) you can either a) ride on rough roads without much traffic or b) ride on decent quality roads that have a lot more traffic. On the few occasions I had smooth pavement and solitude, it was magnificent.

I started later than I wanted to this morning, due to a hold up with breakfast. I am pretty sure I was only person actually staying at this place. The receptionist/bartender/waitress asked me the previous night and I told her I wanted breakfast at eight, when it opened. So I come down at eight and find no breakfast, but instead the cleaning lady who didn't understand English. I made the international eating pantomime and she just shrugged.

I waited for a few minutes, then went back to my room to check what the information card said about breakfast. (It does start at eight.) I then thought that I could speed things along by getting my bike out of the garage. Using Google Translate, I was able to tell the cleaning lady I need the garage remote and set about geting the bike all loaded up while I waited for the mystery breakfast.

The lady offered me some coffee, so I sat in this completely empty dining room enjoying my coffee, when the cook, whom I recognized from the previous night, comes in at 9:15 huffing and puffing. He must have overslept and possibly ran to get there since his jacket was inside out. I thought he might pass out right there. But he made me some scrambled eggs and bread and then I was on my way.

Part of my initial route took me through this forest area that was closed to cars. It was a little foggy and very peaceful. At one point, a deer ran across the road only 50 feet in front of me.


In some places, the roads were OK. But in others, not so much. This is one example of when I actually got off and pushed my bike.
(This was flat, but the sand/giant rock combo was an accident waiting to happen.)

At other times, I was on the secondary roads, which were usually very well paved, had a lot more traffic. Frequently, they also had decent shoulders, so I felt pretty safe riding there.

The landscape as I got further east was much more rolling fields with the occasional random hilltop off the in distance. There are also castle ruins on a lot of the taller ones. I rode by this building with a sign saying it was being renovated.



The combination of the canola fields, which are yellow, intermixed with the red poppies was beautiful.

I'm also pretty sure I rode past a prison. 

Finally, I made it to Lovosice after getting lost twice within a half mile of my hotel. 

I was too tired for any other sightseeing.

My hotel has a jacuzzi, so I definitely hit that up after such a long day.

Tomorrow will be lots of climbing, but my last day in the Czech Republic!




No comments:

Post a Comment