Powered by

Powered by:
Timex Multisport team | Castelli cycling clothing | Trek bikes | Bolle sunglasses | Shimano bike components | Skratch Labs nutrition | Squirt Lube

Monday, May 9, 2016

Lessons from my practice ride



The other day, I took advantage of the beautiful weather and took my road bike out for a test of Day 1 of my ride. This would allow me to check the route as well as the bike computer navigation process.

My training plan called for a 3 hour ride, so I was only going to go part-way and then turn around and go home. Here is the elevation profile for all of Day 1:


You may notice that the theme here is "up."

So I was not surprised that I spent a lot of time in the Granny Gear, just trying to spin up the hills without expending too much effort. I was slightly concerned that when I add on all the extra weight, even my easiest gear might be too hard.

I then encountered my first route problem in the city of Floß. My route took me down a short, steep downhill that ended at an intersection with a stop sign. The visibility at the intersection was really bad, with only about 50ft of view to one side. After that, the road continued back up at about a 9% grade for half a mile. Not a good situation!

Very soon after that I took a turn that routed me unnecessarily onto some side streets. But this was only a minor annoyance.

Other than that, the rest of the ride was great. There was also a pretty stiff headwind, so I got some extra challenge climbing the hills.

But on the way back - I was like a rocketship!!

Returning home, I looked up the cassette that will be installed on my new bike. And fortunately, that bike easiest gear will be about 20% easier than my current one. Good news for my legs :)

No comments:

Post a Comment